Convert WMA to MP3 on Mac OS X
- convert WMA files to MP3 format
- convert audio files from one format to another
Total Video Converter Lite (link to the App Store)
Despite having "video" in its name, this free app successfully converted my audio WMA file. You'll need to choose MP3 as the format you want to convert to. It even preserved artist and song tags. The "lite" version imprints a watermark on video files but converts audio files without issue.
Things That Didn't Work Well
- All2MP3 - although a few readers have gotten this to work, most report problems. One reader said it only converted part of a track and would not complete the conversion.
- Audion - although suggested elsewhere around the web and now made free it crashed on both an Intel and PPC Mac running 10.5.2.
- Audacity - an opensource program for this purpose that required installing additional libraries to export to MP3.
- EasyWMA - the site doesn't mention the demo's limitation of only converting the first 12 seconds of your audio file. It is $12 to purchase.
- iSquint - this said my WMA files were in the wrong frame rate.
- Switch - although previously recommended here, I discovered as of Feb 2013 it will install spyware onto your computer (known as the "Conduit Community Toolbar") .